If you are in the southeastern Caribbean in March, Grenada is place to be. I think Grenada might be the place to be any time of the year, but in March they are having their annual Grenada Round-the-Island yacht (GRIR) races.
This is a serious competition that features some of the fastest most high-tech racing yachts on the high seas. The 2009 race was won by the trimaran Horizon Region Guadeloupe which shattered the race course record, slashing more than an hour off the previous record by crossing the finish line with an elapsed time of 3 hours, 54 minutes and 2 seconds. This new sailing record raises the bar of competition for the 2010 GRIR and poses an exciting challenge for boats everywhere. As such, the Grenada South Coast Yacht Club has responded by creating a prestigious prize for any vessel that breaks the record, upping the stakes.
In addition to top quality sailing competition, the 2010 GRIR weekend from March 12-14 will bring a wide range of entertainment to the shores of Grenada’s spectacular Grand Anse Beach. High points of the weekend will include A Taste of Grenada food festival, the youth sailing exhibition, the ever-popular and quirky Crazy Craft Bathtub Derby, and more events to be announced. The Grenada South Coast Yacht Club and 2010 Race Committee are working to continue the GRIR’s tradition of promoting sailing excellence while also providing an exciting lineup of events that celebrate Grenadian culture.
The pinnacle of the race weekend, however, will undoubtedly be the post-race party where the awards ceremony will reveal if any yachts were able to successfully take a crack at the course record. With bragging rights on the table, the 2010 GRIR promises to be one of the most exciting sailing events of 2010!
So if you are Grenadian or in that part of the Caribbean be sure to enjoy the festivities! See me some photos of the events and I’ll be sure to post them and write a wrap up.
Cheers to the Salt Life,
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page