From reading Part 1 of the Tattoo Story, you saw the Kenny Chesney concert logo that inspired me to design my own tattoo. Here is the art from the logo that I wanted to incorperate into my design, but what do should I add to it. What do I feel strongly enough about to put on my body for the rest of my days.
Here is a list of my favorite things. What do you think would fit?
- Peanut Butter
- Coconut Palm Trees
- Sandy Beaches
- Football Sunday
- The Opposite Sex
- Crystal Clear Ocean Water
- Kansas Jayhawks
By looking at the list some work well together and others well….don’t. Palm trees, beaches and islands fit like a glove, peanut butter and the opposite sex not so much….well let me rethink that one, I digress.
I knew I wanted some palm trees behind the cowboy pirate. Just had to the find the right ones. Then you have to have the palm trees on something, you can’t have them just floating in space. So what to put them on. Water? Small island? I had no clue, just had to do some trial and error type magic.
Here is the first design that I came up with.
Not bad, but not good. The palms needed something behind them so I added a rustic sun of sorts to give the design a background. I tried it with out and it didn’t work. I tried with a photo of a setting sun and that didn’t work either. Rustic surfer sun…bingo.
I added a little island mound for the palms to sit on with some water around it, but as you can tell it just wasn’t working. It almost looks like legs coming out of the pirate and pom poms coming out of his hat. Can’t have pom pom looking anything on this hyper masculine tat, would catch way too much grief from my crew.
I’m sure you’re wondering what that symbol above the hat is. It is the symbol of St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Settlers of St. John found this symbol or petroglyph marked on rocks all over the island. It meant something important to the Taino Indians that called St. John and other islands home. I love St. John for many reasons, enough to at it’s symbol to my tattoo.
Still have quite of bit to work to do but along the right track. Part 3 coming.
Cheers to the Salt Life,
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page