by Stacey E. Marmolejo
Water, water everywhere
Back in the 60s, world famous French explorer Jacques Cousteau brought attention to the little fishing island of Cozumel, singing its praises and declaring its beauty to the world. Since then, Cozumel has gained a reputation as a Mexico vacation spot with something for everyone, from adventurous kayakers, snorkelers and deep-sea divers to those looking for relaxing days on white beaches who may have never seen (or want to see!) a paddle or a snorkel.
For the water sports fan, sparkling waters teeming with exotic marine life await, whether as part of a tour or for exploring on your own. If you’re more of a sightseer, though, there’s plenty to see!
Not just a Mexico vacation spot…a whole new world
Cozumel combines old world traditions, Mayan history and a true passion for celebrating the botanical, marine and wildlife that makes its home on the island and provides a memorable respite from the world “back home.”
Chankanaab Park exemplifies everything that makes Cozumel so special; Chankanaab Lagoon, the exquisite natural aquarium known around the world, features the world’s only inland coral reef formation, along with dozens of species of marine life.
Punta Sur Light House, another spectacular island attraction, again showcases the exquisite wildlife and rich Mayan history of this Mexican vacation spot. Then there’s “Discover Mexico,” one of the island’s newest attractions, which offers a perfect afternoon for the archaeology and history buffs hoping to gain a deeper appreciation for their host city.
Enduring history, captivating wildlife
As far as vacation spots in Mexico go, Cozumel, with its soul of natural beauty and tradition, is one of the most diverse and rewarding locales for a place that will give any traveler the vacation of their dreams.
Stacey E. Marmolejo is a travel industry veteran who has visited multiple cities within 29 countries on five continents and explored 36 states plus Washington DC within her home country of the USA. No longer employed in the travel industry, Stacey has earned 1+ million frequent flier miles on one airline alone. Find out how she’s done this on a budget. Go to
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page