Bequia is one of the islands of St Vincent and the Grenadines, which is an independent country, west of Barbados and south of St Lucia. It is the northernmost of the Grenadines, a chain of islands stretching from St Vincent on the north to Grenada on the south.
It is a small island of five miles long and half a mile wide in size and the population of about 6,000. The population is mainly of African origin with some European and British ethnic groups.
The island is heaven for those seeking peace and quiet away from the rush of the big cities and the stress of their professions. Here life is relaxed and moves to a slow pace. You can walk the island by foot or hire one of the taxis with their friendly drivers that will satisfy any of your requests, always with a smile. The exotic beaches have attracted the Rich and Famous for many years.
Over the years the island has been in dispute between the French and the English, but for many years it was ruled by Great Britain. English is the official language, although the local dialect is sometime hard to understand the first time, until you get used to it.
Being so secluded makes it a little difficult to get there. There are many ways to reach Bequia.
By ferry: It’s a short ride of about nine miles from the big island of St Vincent. The ferry will depart from the capital Kingstown.
By air: There are direct flights from Barbados that arrive to J.F. Mitchell airport.
Many tourists coming from all over the world arrive to the bigger Caribbean Islands like Puerto Rico, Martinique or Barbados Island and find their way through St Vincent to Bequia.
Bequia is a dream for many tourists coming from northern countries. The island is fully surrounded by white sand beaches, not crowded at all, with green hillsides and attractive villages.
There are many hotels and guest houses and here you can either mingle with other people or find total solitude.
Either you want total relaxation or you want to enjoy the most beautiful waters in the world for all kind of water sports like snorkeling, diving or sailing.
If you want to see some luxury yachts, go to the natural Harbour of Admiralty Bay. Some of the world’s most beautiful yachts anchor there.
If you stay at a luxury villa or in any of the resorts, or in a more modest hotel or guest house, your tropical vacations in Bequia in St Vincent and the Grenadines will be a guaranteed success. It will be a difficult task to pack and leave.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Eddy_Tuchman
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page