The most well known island is St Thomas (population 51,000) which is a major port of call for most cruise lines operating in the Caribbean as well a tourists arriving by air at the Cyril E King Airport. The airport acts a hub for all of the Virgin Islands with connecting flights to many US cities and routes around the World. Notable landmarks include Magens Bay, Blackbeard’s Castle, Buck Island National Wildlife Reserve and Fort Christian.
Charlotte Amalie is the capital and largest city of the U.S. Virgin Islands. It is famous as a deep-water harbor that was once a haven for pirates and is now a famed cruise ship port of call, with about 1.5 million cruise ship passengers landing there in 2004.
Charlotte Amalie harbor webcam
Over and out from somewhere south,
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page