Welcome to Coral Bay! The “other” town on the island of St. John Virgin Islands. This quiet town is opposite of bustling Cruz Bay. Many of the residents are sailors who live on their boats in Coral Bay Harbor. Others are landlubbers, living high up on the hills overlooking the Caribbean Sea and the British Virgin Islands. In between, there are quite a few donkeys, goats, roosters and some mongoose, who like to hang out in the middle of the (one) road.
Coral Bay is on the southeastern side of St. John. It is a popular hangout for American mainland ex-pats, sailors, artist types and more who live on sailboats or up in the hills. A traffic jam in Coral Bay probably refers to a herd of goats or a few donkeys in the middle of the road. (There are no stop lights anywhere on the entire island of St. John, and only one barely recognizable ‘yield’ sign coming into Coral Bay).
Coral Bay is more of a “community” (or, rather, “general area”) than town, though more and more homes are beginning to pop up along the hillsides.
It is around a 30 minutes drive (8 miles) along Centerline Road from the main town (Cruz Bay) where the ferries come in from St. Thomas.
Many St. John vacationers do not venture out to Coral Bay.
Things To Do
Coral Bay is home to the legendary “Skinny Legs Bar and Grill” and “The Tourist Trap” as well as some other interesting restaurants/dives such as “Island Blues”, “Shipwreck” and “Miss Lucy’s”. Concordia Eco-Resorts (a sister resort to Maho Bay Eco-Resorts on the islands north shore) is just on the southeastern tip of the island, about 3 miles south of the crossroads where Coral Bay begins.
Each year in late February, the Virgin Islands most famous race (the ‘8 TUFF MILES’), runs along Centerline Road from Cruz Bay and ends in the Moravian Church ballfield in Coral Bay (next to Skinny Legs).
Have you ever been to the laid back Coral Bay?
Over and out from somewhere south,
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page