A Dark and Stormy (or Dark ‘n’ Stormy) is an alcoholic highball style cocktail popular in many British Commonwealth countries, such as Australia and Bermuda. It consists of dark rum and ginger beer over ice. The local rum is usually used, for example, Bundaberg in Australia or Goslings in Bermuda.
The national drink of Bermuda, a true Dark and Stormy is never made with Jamaican ginger beer or weak ginger ale. Only the real stuff made in small batches will do, so try this recipe at home or seek out a case of Barritt’s or Blenheim if you can.
Before we jump into the drink recipe, and since you love good rum drinks, check out our Castaway Cocktails Recipe eBook! It has 52 drink recipes, lot’s of island favorites and a few of my own creations.
Watch this great video for the history of the Dark and Stormy cocktail.
Dark N’ Stormy Drink Recipe
- 2 oz Gosling’s® Black Seal rum
- 8 oz ginger beer
How To Make: Pour rum over ice, add ginger ale, and stir. Raise glass and toast.
NOTE: You can substitute any dark or spiced rum, but it wouldn’t be true Dark N’ Stormy. It would still be a damn good drink though.
The key here is nailing the precise ratio between the spice of the ginger beer and the richness of the rum. Depending on brands of each used, you may want to play around with the proportions. No true Bermudian would put lime juice in his D & S, but here in the States that’s how it comes.
Pin It To Pinterest!
Let me know if you have had the pleasure of consuming this treat. Hit us up on Instagram at @CaribbeanCastways and let us know about your Dark N Stormy experience.
Looking For More Rum Drinks?
Click here to see our list of 52 rum drinks and how to make them. Invite some friends over and impress them with your rum skills, because each one tastes like paradise in a glass.
Every good mixologist needs some good cocktail making gear. I recommend this cocktail mixing set, it has everything you need and it’s what I use at home.
Ryan – RumShopRyan
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page