The Goombay Smash: After one sip, you’ll be bouncing from island to island.
When you think of The Bahamas and rum drinks, you will probably think of the famous Bahama Mama. And rightly so, it’s a great drink. But My favorite Bahamian rum drink is the Goombay Smash.
Smashes are drinks that usually contain muddled mint, but not always. Some examples of early smashes from the 1800’s consist of a spirit, like whisky, gin, or rum with sugar and mint. These were usually served in an old fashion glass. The modern idea for a smash is a drink with a good dose of spirit and a combination of fresh fruit juices. The Goombay Smash is a popular example of this modern variation.
The original smash was created in Green Turtle Cay, at Miss Emily’s Blue Bee Bar. This drink is now popular throughout the Caribbean and I’ve seen in on dozens of restaurant menus here in Florida as well. So Miss Emily, you’ve done very well!
While the recipe below will if you a taste of the Bahamas in your glass, there’s nothing like the real thing. I definitely recommend a visit to the Blue Bee Bar in Abaco, Bahamas. Here is the airfare site we use to get amazing prices on flights. We highly recommend! You will fly into Marsh Harbour in Abaco, Bahamas. Then take a ferry to Green Turtle Cay.
Before we jump into the drink recipe, I thought you might like a few dozen more recipes for your collection! Check out our Castaway Cocktails Recipe eBook! It has 52 drink recipes, lot’s of island favorites and a few of my own creations.
Goombay Smash Recipe
- Ice cubes
- 6 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup Malibu rum or other coconut-flavored rum
- 2 tablespoons light rum
- 2 tablespoons gold rum
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 2 pineapple wedges
- 2 orange slices
Fill cocktail shaker with ice; add pineapple juice, orange juice, and all rum. Cover and shake until very cold. Fill 2 short glasses with ice. Strain cocktail mixture over, dividing equally. Garnish with pineapple wedges and orange slices. Raise glass and toast.
Pin It To Pinterest!
If you make a Goombay Smash at home, let us know! Hit us up on Instagram at @CaribbeanCastaways and send us a photo of your drink. Either send us a direct message with the photo or tag us in your Instagram Story. Would would love to see it and share with with our audience!
(Photo by womenandcruising.com)
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page