I was graciously invited to the 2nd annual Rum Renaissance Festival this past Saturday and lived to tell the tale. The Celebration of this versatile spirit took place on Miami Beach at the Raleigh South Beach Resort. Miami Beach is known for bringing the heat, and on this day it was literally a blaze. Dennis Rodman even stumbled his way through the party. Not surprising in the least.
I want to start off by thanking Michael Streeter from RumConnection.com for the tickets and introducing me to some amazing rum connoisseurs from around the world. I had a great time.
The festival featured about 140 different rums from around the world. Don’t think all rum is Caribbean rum, other parts of the world are creating some top shelf rums that need to be showed off. Here is a link to the Miami New Times with more photos of the event.
The most distant brands making themselves known were Rhum St. Aubin from Mauritius in the southern Indian Ocean and Seven Tiki Rum from Fiji in the south Pacific. I was really impressed with the variety. I’m the first one to admit I’m no rum expert, so I’m not going to act like one. I will tell you I sampled around 20 or so brands and some stood out and had me going back to their tent for a second sip.
Those that had me crawling back were Cruzan, Pusser’s, Bacardi, Plantation and Gosling’s Black Seal. I’m sure I’m missing some greats but it was in the upper 90’s and I was drinking rum so forgive me if I can’t recall them all. That’s what next year is for!
I tasted several different cocktails throughout the afternoon and after each one the smile on my face kept getting bigger. Can you guess what I had to try first…that’s right the famous PainKiller from the Pusser’s tent (thanks for the hat!).
I then moved down the line and grabbed a Planters Punch from the beautiful Cruzan girls (thanks for the hat!).
Next up was my girl friend’s favorite. A rum and coke made with Bacardi toasted cherry. She also raved about the Barritts Ginger Beer.
Then it was back to the Cruzan tent for a RumRunner! The perfect way to end a fantastic day.
If you are looking for all things rum, here are some great websites.
If I missed any rum blogs or sites please let me know in the comments below and I’ll add you to this list.
Already looking forward to next year’s Rum Renaissance Festival.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page