Close your eyes and picture this; it’s mid-July, the sun is shining, and you feel completely relaxed. You have a your favorite beverage in hand and you want to sit and do nothing. This is the essence of Hammock Day. While the origins of this holiday are unknown, Hammock Day exists to remind us to slow down, relax, and enjoy summer because it will be over soon!
This is a real day, just Google it. Every July 22nd is known as National Hammock Day. How excited are you!
Hammock Day exists to enjoy summer as it should be enjoyed. People celebrate Hammock Day by spending as much time relaxing on it as possible. Getting out of your Hammock to get a snack, or your favorite summer beverage is okay. But, it is not a day for work.
If longevity measures greatness, the hammock is pretty much the greatest piece of furniture you can get for outdoors because it’s been in popular use for more than 1000 years. Hammocks are comfortable to sleep in, comfortable to read in, and comfortable to do just about nothing in. In all truth, there’s nothing like spending a lazy summer afternoon in a hammock. To ensure everyone gets the chance to enjoy a lazy lifestyle every year we honor the hammock on July 22nd.
Far from the symbol of relaxation it has long since become, the hammock started out in ages past as something functional, not fun. Though sometimes said to have been “discovered” by Christopher Columbus, an early version of the hammock was being used as beds by native peoples across the Caribbean and the Americas for about 500 years before Columbus carried a few of the curious things back to Spain with him.
Hammock materials ranged back then from old fishing nets to bark from the hamak (thus, hammock) tree, palm fronds, sisal rope and various indigenous fabrics. In the 1600s, the British Navy introduced a hammock of heavy canvas as its ship’s bed, with the U.S. Navy having adopted the same practice by the time of the American Civil War.
Get your classic Hammock here if you want one.
Enjoy Hammock Day Castaways,
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page