Whale Wars? The next thing she heard was him screaming “Oh, sh**!”
Here is a crazy story I wanted to share about a couple that was taking a causal sail off the coast of Cape Town, South Africa. They were minding their own business watching this juvenile Right Whale do some tale slapping about 300 feet away. Sounds like an amazing experience right?
Amazing soon turned into terror when the whale decided to breach on top of the boat.
“Then I just saw this huge whale crash onto our yacht,” she said.
Mothes took cover behind the steering wheel, and Werner was safe underneath the coach house. Tourists sailing nearby snapped photos of the ordeal.
Shocked, but not injured, the couple began looking around for damage as the whale splashed away. Luckily, the yacht was steel, so it was strong enough to withstand the whale’s impact. Only the mast and rigging were damaged.
You can read the whole story here on ABC News.
The above photo was taken by a tourist watching the whale. Great shot!
Here are a few more photos of the wrecked boat.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page