After one sip you’ll be dodging cannon ball fire.
They say every drink has a story. This one is no different. How many of you know the story behind the Jimmy Buffett song, Jamaica Mistaica?
In January 1996 Buffett’s Grumman HU-16 airplane nicknamed “Hemisphere Dancer” was shot at by Jamaican police who believed the craft to be smuggling marijuana. The aircraft sustained minimal damage. On board the plane with Buffett were U2’s Bono, and Island Records producer Chris Blackwell, and co-pilot Bill Dindy. The Jamaican government acknowledged the mistake and apologized to Buffett who penned the song “Jamaica Mistaica” for his Banana Wind album based on the experience. The plane from the incident is now at Orlando City Walk’s Margaritaville.
Jamaica Mistaica Drink Recipe
- 2 jiggers Jamaican Rum
- 1 jigger Grenadine
- 3 dashes Maraschino
- 3 dashes Curacao
Fill shaker with ice. Add ingredients. Stir and strain into glass. Raise glass and toast.
This little island cocktail is sure to pack a punch, but not nearly as much as the Jamaican military. Lay off the rum mon!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page