Start up that margarita blender and turn on some steel drum music because Josh Martin is going to tell us tales of Kenny Chesney and Jimmy Buffett.
Josh is the owner/operator of two very popular fan sites, BuffettWorld.com and ChesneyWorld.com. These two sites keep us fans up-to-date on all the breaking news about these two entertainers. I was able to lure Josh into an interview with the promise of future margarita rounds bought by yours truly. Enjoy the journey. Cheers!
1. You are the owner & operator of two very popular websites, BuffettWorld.com and ChesneyWorld.com, how long have you had the site sand what made you come up with the idea?
My buddy first introduced me to Jimmy Buffett when I was a sophomore in high school (2000). The more and more I listened to his music the more and more I loved it, and after going to my first show in St. Louis I was hooked. I was very into computers and had been fiddling with making websites so I decided to make a Buffett website. It started as a hobby, but after a couple of years I bought the domain name buffettworld.com and, with the help of my contributor Justin, added a ton of new information. The traffic really grew in 2004 and has grown exponentially since. It’s now the largest resource for all things Jimmy Buffett on the net.
A couple years back I noticed that Kenny was getting more and more of a following. He had become the biggest act in country music and one of the biggest tours in all of music. But there wasn’t a fan website out there for him like there was BuffettWorld for Jimmy Buffett. I had been thinking about creating a Chesney site for a while, and in May of 2008 I decided to replicate what I’d done for Buffett and created ChesneyWorld.com. It grew very quickly and I’ve been surprised and thrilled by its success.
There are a great group of fans for both Kenny and Jimmy and I’m very gracious for those that come to the “Worlds” to get their fix.
2. What is your “Boat Drink” of choice when you are relaxing?
My drink of choice is usually a Bud Light Lime. I also love a good frozen margarita. I guess I’m just sort of a lime guy when it comes to boat drinks.
3. Which singer/song writer do you have more in common with, Mr. Buffett or Mr. Chesney?
I feel like I have a lot in common with both of them. I share their love of sports. I have a laid back, easy going personality, and love fishing and boating. I would probably relate more to Chesney as we’re closer in age, but Buffett and I share one very strong passion, and that’s flying. My day job is corporate pilot and I love it. Jimmy Buffett is a very accomplished pilot and owns several airplanes. When (hopefully not “if”) I do get to meet him someday, I envision it being at an airport where we’ll chat about airplanes and our love of flying.
4. What is your favorite Caribbean Island?
I’ve only been to a couple, but I do love the backside of St. Thomas, away from the city where it’s a little quieter. I’d love to visit St. John. which is Kenny’s home away from home, or St. Barts where Jimmy spends a lot of his time.
5. How many Buffett and Chesney shows have you been too? What was your most memorable experience?
I just went to my 10th Buffett show back in April. A big group of friends have gone every year for the past decade except one. The group gets bigger and bigger every year and it’s such a good time. Easily the most memorable experience was Dallas 2003 when I was fortunate enough to sit second row dead center. At the end of the show, Jimmy always throws his wrist bands into the crowd and he threw one of them towards us and all hands went up for it… the people in front of me thought it fell to the ground so they all leaned forward but the wrist band had been knocked into the air and landed on the back of the guy in front of me as he leaned forward. With the quickest motion I’ve probably ever made I snatched it off of his back. I’ve now got it in a frame on the wall with a picture of Jimmy wearing it from that show.
I’ve seen Kenny 5 times. The first was in 1999 at a small venue here in my hometown. It was pre-No Shoes, No Shirts, No Problems so it was cool to compare him then to later shows after he underwent his “island transformation.” Earlier this year I was able to attend the CMT Crossroads taping in Nashville with Steve Miller. That was a very special experience. It was neat to see the show when it aired on CMT, knowing what all happened behind the scenes to make the show what it was.
6. This will be a hard question, but what are your top 2 favorite songs from both artists?
This is a very hard question, particularly with Buffett songs. I’m glad you asked for top two and not just my number one. For Kenny, it’s “Me and You” and “Back Where I Come From.” “Me and You” is my wife and I’s song. It was the first song we danced to at our wedding. And “Back Where I Come From” has always been a favorite since the first time I heard it back in the 90’s. It’s been a real treat this year as Buffett’s sang it on tour a few times, including the show that we were at. As for Buffett, I’d probably go with “When The Coast is Clear” and “One Particular Harbour.” “When The Coast is Clear” is the first song that Jimmy and Mac McAnally ever wrote together. It’s just such a great tune, and I love it even more after Buffett changed the words to reflect the situation in the gulf. And with “One Particular Harbour”, Jimmy always says that everybody should have that one particular harbour that they can go to and feel at home and have a good time. It’s a staple at his shows and I’ve just always loved it since the first time I heard it.
7. What does the future hold for BuffettWorld and ChesneyWorld?
Earlier this year both sites underwent a major redesign that took a significant amount of time. Since that’s been accomplished there aren’t any big plans for either site right now. We’ll just keep on providing the best and latest news, while utilizing social media like Twitter and Facebook.
8. Last question. If you were stranded on a beautiful tropical island in the middle of nowhere and could bring 3 things with you, what would they be?
I’d bring my wife and two kids (daughter Peyton (3) and son Paxton (1 month)). I couldn’t imagine life without them. If you were gracious enough to count them as one, then I’d also bring along a good book and a computer so I could still keep everyone up to date on Kenny and Jimmy 🙂
I want to thank Josh for taking the time do the interview. I know I will continue going to BuffettWorld and ChesneyWorld for my escapism fix.
Have a great weekend Castaways!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page