Seems we silly Americans have a day for everything. There’s a national fly a kite day, national Star Wars day, and even something called National Hammock Day, a personal favorite.
Today, August 16 particularly appeals to me because it’s National Rum Day. Just how this designation was born I haven’t been able to find one consistent story, but who cares? It’s an excuse to make a delicious rum cocktail which can take your mind to dreams of sandy beaches and palm trees.
Why National Rum Day and why August you ask? Some say the timing coincides with the end of the sugar cane harvest on the islands.
In Barbados, the legendary birthplace of rum, the harvest ends with a huge party — call it the mardi gras of rum.
Crop Over is a festival that is island wide with sights, smells and sounds that capture Bajan customs and tradition. Who could be a better teach the world on how to celebrate National Rum Day than the producers of Mount Gay Rum, the rum that invented rum?
So grab your cocktails or sipping glasses and give a small toast to today…National Rum Day. Cheers.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page