Dominica, West Indies is located in the Caribbean. Dominica is one of the few places in the world where the coral is in beautiful, perfect condition. Dominica is a beautiful island with a high mountain range, underwater hot springs, waterfalls, tropical rain forest and lush vegetation. This island offers an escape into tranquility and peace.
The Commonwealth of Dominica is often mistaken for the Dominican Republic. Dominica is pronounced Domineeca. The language of this island is English although Creole is also widely spoken. The Dominica West Indies is located in the eastern chain of Windward Isles. In 1978 Dominica gained its independence from the United Kingdom.
Interesting Island Tourist facts:
- Dominica is only 29 miles long and 16 miles wide.
- The time in Dominica is one hour ahead of US Eastern time.
- The currency is the East Caribbean Dollar
- Vehicles drive on the left
This island is a tropical escape. Plan an escape to this island and get the experience of a lifetime. This small island offers mountain peaks as high as 4,000 feet with rain forests where 175 birds, iguanas, tree lizards, extraordinary butterflies and wildlife live. Tree ferns, and plant life, flowers and vegetation cover the ground creating a colorful carpet.
Waterfalls form and cascade as 365 rivers and streams intertwine and travel across the island. Ravines and gorges offer spectacular sites. The waterfalls on Dominica West Indies Island are a sight that will never be forgotten.
Dominica is one of the top three scuba diving sites in the Caribbean and it is one of the top five in the world. Enjoy scuba diving sites that include the exploration of under water wrecks and sudden under water drop offs. Hot springs release constant streams of bubbles. This is locally known as champagne. Hot springs are enjoyed by all who visit the island but the experience is enhanced by scuba diving. Snorkeling is also a way to explore the rich and beautiful waters off of the island.
Things to Enjoy:
Dominica offers whale and dolphin watching year round. You can hike through Dominica’s forested mountain highlands. Hike to the Titou George, Panorama Viewpoint and the Valley of Desolation. Hike to the world’s second largest Boiling Lake. Hikers must be accompanied by a certified hike guide. Many of the Islands most beautiful water falls and sites are hidden deep in the lush forests. Hiking is necessary to see these incredible natural sites. Visit the Champagne and Forest Hot Springs. Enjoy local foods such as green bananas, paw paw, red snapper, tuna and so much more.
Dominica, West Indies is a spectacular escape from the rush and hurry of the modern world. Hide away and escape in this enchanted tropical island. Enjoy the natural beauty of Dominica, West Indies.
Ken Stiles writes about the Caribbean and runs the http://www.caribbean-videos.com website where you can watch other people’s Caribbean videos to help you decide which Caribbean island destination you would like to visit.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Ken_Stiles
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page