The above sign is hanging in my man cave. As you can read it tells you how to prepare for a hurricane. Sure, when hurricanes and tropical storms come everyone gets off work, we fill the coolers and call up friends. That sounds like a good time but you really have to be aware of what is going on outside and be prepared.
Living in southwest Florida I have been through my share of tropical storms and even a hurricane or two. Hurricanes are nothing to mess with as you can see by the below videos and the news coming out of northern islands of the Lesser Antilles. Hurricane Earl grew to a category 3 hurricane in the morning hours yesterday. Category 3 storms are nothing to mess with. Reports are coming in the from the British and U.S Virgin island that Earl has caused damage and that the famous BVI Bomba Shack beach bar is no more. Truly sad.
Update: I just read that Earl is now major category 4 hurricane. Everyone in the Caribbean please be careful. We are all keeping an eye on the news and praying for the islands.
Update: The Bomba Shack is okay for the most part!
Enjoy the hurricane parties before the storm but please hunker down and stay safe when the storm comes your way. Keep the rum safe as well you will need it later.
Video of Hurricane Earl from Anguilla
Video of Hurricane Earl from St. Kitts
Video of Hurricane Earl from St. Croix
Be safe everyone in the islands.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page