Would it be weird if I told you “Talk Like a Pirate Day” is my favorite day of the year? Probably so. I get excited over the small things. I have already used some pirate lingo today. I asked my girl friend, “Arrrrrr you going to fix me some breakfast?” She didn’t think that was too funny.
Here is a little history I found from Wikipedia on this grand day.
International Talk Like a Pirate Day is a parodic holiday created in 1995 by John Baur (Ol’ Chumbucket) and Mark Summers, of Albany, Oregon, who proclaimed 19th September each year as the day when everyone in the world should talk like a pirate. For example, an observer of this holiday would greet friends not with “Hello,” but with “Ahoy, matey!” The holiday, and its observance, springs from a romanticized view of the Golden Age of Piracy.
How are you going to celebrate this day? Give me your best pirate talk in the comments below! If you need help just look to our friend Jack Sparrow….sorry, that’s Captain Jack Sparrow.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page