Rick’s Cafe in beautiful Negril is one of the most popular places to dine and party in all of Jamaica if not the Caribbean. Not really a beach bar, but more of a cliff top playground for those looking for a little escape.
Rick’s story begins with the opening by its founder, Richard Hershman, in April 1974. At the time, Negril was a sleepy fishing village with little development, it lacked many modern amenities such as electricity, telephone and hot running water. The beautiful little cliffside location was originally owned by a local doctor, the son of the first Governor General of independent Jamaica.
Rick’s Cafe was the first public bar and restaurant of its type on the West End Cliffs, offering an alternative to Negril’s majestic seven mile beach. From the beginning, Rick’s Cafe boasted an unrivaled view of the sunset from its naturally formed cliffs. Over the years, visitors and locals alike have designated Rick’s Cafe as Negril’s premier gathering spot and the sunsets have become a Jamaican tradition.
In addition to the beautiful views, Rick’s Cafe is fortunate to have one of the most incredible coves along the West End Cliffs. From the cliffs, countless visitors and locals have jumped or dived into the crystalline water below. Our highest platform jump is 35 feet and ensures the thrill of a lifetime. Maybe you’ve seen this on TV? I know I’ve seen people jumping form the cliffs of Rick’s on several Caribbean travel shows.
Cliff Diving at Rick’s Cafe
World Famous Sunsets
The crowd runs the gamut from Rastas to Rolexes as Jamaicans mingle with renegades who’ve escaped their luxury all-inclusive resorts for a dose of local flavor.
Rick’s After Dark
The cool lounge vibes come alive at night when the sky is blackened and the moon and stars reflect on the endless Caribbean sea. For the ultimate Rick’s After Dark experience, come enjoy fine dining on the cliffs and rum drinks by moonlight.
This being a very popular place, I’m sure some of you have been here. Unfortunately I have not. Please tell us about your experience. What was your favorite part? Best items on the menu? Did you jump from a cliff? Let us know!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page