After one sip, you’ll be in the eye of the storm or the life of the party.
The official end of hurricane season is November 30, and to celebrate the upcoming departure of a busy season, let’s dive into the famous Hurricane cocktail recipe. Watch out for the storm surge, it usually sweeps away victims after 4 or 5 glasses. Cheers!
The creation of this passion-colored relative of a Daiquiri drink is credited to Pat O’Brien. He is reported to have invented the Hurricane in the 1940s in New Orleans. Rumors say he needed to get rid of all the rum that Southern distributors forced him to buy before he could get a few cases of other spirits. He poured the concoction into hurricane-lamp-shaped glasses and gave it away to sailors. The drink caught on, and it’s been part of the celebration ever since.
Hurricane Drink Recipe
- 1 jigger light rum
- 1 jigger dark rum
- 2 jiggers pineapple juice
- 2 jiggers orange juice
- 1/4 jigger grenadine
Pineapple or Orange slice garnish, Cherry garnish
Fill shaker with ice. Add ingredients. Shake and strain into glass. Raise glass and toast.
Enjoy your hump day and next time your in the mood to mix up some tropical cocktails, remember the Hurricane.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page