If you are vacationing in Belize and are looking for the perfect Caribbean beach bar, then look just off the coast to a small island called Caye Caulker. There you will find the laid back Lazy Lizard bar at the Split.
This quintessential beach bar has the motto, “a sunny spot for shady people.” The simple, tin-roofed structure is located at the northern end of town, overlooking a swift-moving channel called the Split. The Split was formed in 1961, when Hurricane Hattie whipped through here and cut off the northern tip from the rest of the island. Now, it is one of the preferred spots on Caye Caulker for swimming and snorkeling.
The Lazy Lizard can be described as the island’s only beach, however, don’t expect the Virgin Islands or Hawaii – there is no sand here. The “beach” is a sunken area of a picnic area surrounded by cement sea walls. On the walls you’ll see the young and hip limin’ about, catching a tan. When it gets too hot, you can jump into the water, or make the short walk back to the Lazy Lizard to refresh your adult beverage.
Have you had the pleasure of chillin’ at this Caribbean beach bar? If so I would love to hear about your experience!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page