After one sip, you’ll be battling the monster within.
The legend of Kraken Black Spiced Rum. It is said that a ship carrying one of the largest quantities of black spiced rum ever to be brought over from the Caribbean islands, for unexplained reasons, never reached its destination. Stories were plentiful, and while an attack by the Kraken is suspected, no stories were ever confirmed. Barrels carrying this black spiced rum drifted off the ship into the sea and the rum was renamed after the Kraken as a tribute (some say as a sacrifice) to this beast’s unchallengeable power and might. As they say, “To not respect the power of the Kraken is to not respect the sea.”
My first experience with Kraken Rum was on Siesta Key at the Daiquiri Deck this October. To tell you the truth the name and bottle design sucked me in. I’m a sucker for creative design. The Kraken Rum daiquiri was extremely flavorful and I ordered another one.
Then last weekend I bought a bottle of this mysterious rum to call my own. Last night I cracked open the Kraken for a little boat drink inspiration. I took a couple sips of my Scurvy Dog cocktail and could feel the warm inspiration coming to life. Or did I just awaken the Kraken within. Hard to say.
The Scurvy Dog Cocktail Recipe
- 3 oz Kraken
- 1/2 lime squeezed
- Ginger ale to top
Build your drink in a highball glass filled with ice. Stir once. Raise your glass and toast.
Best enjoyed under the dark of night, all lamps snuffed, quiet as possible, lest the beast awaken from it’s slumber.
The rum is distilled in Trinidad and Tobago with a secret blend of 13 spices, and inspired by the Kraken’s legendary strength it weighs in at 94 proof and has a dark black color reminiscent of giant squid’s ink.
Put a Beast in your Belly! Let me know if you’ve had Kraken rum and what you thought.
Cheers Castaways, happy Boat Drinks!
Don’t forget to get your Castaway Koozies before Christmas! I’ll rush it to you.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page