Over the years, Sunset Beach Bar has established itself as the island’s single most exciting entertainment spot. It offers a casual and relaxed family fun atmosphere by day, with live acoustic music by St. Maarten’s most talented artists. Their surfside BBQ turns out delicious favorites such as Black Angus burgers, steaks and shrimps, together with mouthwatering hand-cut tuna, salmon and other local seafood.
Sunset Beach Bar is located on the Maho beach near the end of Princess Juliana International Airport. The bar itself is perched on a rocky promontory next to Caravanserai Resort at one end, the Maho night spots at the other, and divided by an idyllic sliver of powdery white beach with turquoise waters.
Sunset is ideally suited to watch the landings and departures of private jets and airliners. Where else can you enjoy a boat drink sitting yards away from the landing strip of the island’s international airport, and almost touch the wing of a 747 as it swoops in for landing? If it sounds improbable, you’re not alone. The experience has been featured on countless travel shows. A surfboard speared into the sand notes arrival and departure times of the ‘big planes’.
Generous wooden decking on two levels allows plenty of freedom for movement, and direct access to the beach. Enjoy a romantic interlude overlooking the ocean, with yes… a glorious sunset on the horizon, lock lips under the stars, or take a dip in the clear turquoise water. Loungers and umbrellas are available, as well as activities for kids.
Sunset Beach Bar sizzles from noon until the early morning hours. It’s been said that if you come to see the Sunset, you might not see the sun rise. The parties often last until dawn, the dance floor packed with gyrating revelers and our “all-request” DJ’s spinning the latest tunes and all-time favorites.
“St. Maarten is an island in the Tropics owned equally by the Netherlands Antilles and France. Number 3 on the list takes us to Sunset Beach Bar in the southern Dutch region. Boasting beautiful views of the St. Maarten sunset, the bar is also where the beautiful people gather to cut loose. Each Tuesday the bar holds a bikini contest — and they encourage participants to get a little crazy in order to walk home with a little cash.” -AOL Travel
Let me know if you’ve been to the Sunset Beach Bar. We all would love to hear about your experience!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page