St. Barts has one of those airports where landing will make the hairs on the back of your neck do the chicken dance. This week’s Caribbean Webcam is from the St. Barts airport (SBH). The view is of the hill that pilots must steeply descend over to make a safe landing. Please fasten your seat belts, we are beginning our approach.
The short airstrip is at the base of a gentle slope ending directly on the beach. The arrival descent is extremely steep over the hilltop traffic circle and departing planes fly right over the heads of sunbathers (although small signs advise sunbathers not to lie directly at the end of the runway). The airport is located in the island’s second-largest town, St. Jean.
The approach, usually from the east, flies over a small dip in the hill. There are four roads that meet there and now a roundabout. The planes come in low over the roundabout as the photo show above (photo via Flicker from mike2099). Once safely down you will and have calmed your nerves, head to the top of the hip to watch the planes come in. That, or head to the closest beach bar for a liquid relaxer.
The History Channel program Most Extreme Airports, ranks Gustaf III airport, which is casually referred to as “St. Barth’s“, as the 3rd most dangerous airport in the world.
St. Barts Airport Webcam
Click refresh to get the most current image. Webcam courtesy of St-Barth.Info
Here are a couple videos of landings on St. Barts.
This video shows an inexperienced pilot and what can happen when landing on St. Barts. Note: Landing here is very safe and this doesn’t not happen often.
Let me know if you’ve flown into St. Barts and what you thought of the landing.
(Top photo by mike2099 via flickr)
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page