Thick rainforest, hissing volcanic vents and jagged mountainous peaks…the island of Dominica is a nature lover’s dream. You don’t come to Dominica for the beaches, you come to explore things like boiling lakes and magical pools filled by mountain waterfalls. A true pirate haven back in the day.
Today’s Photo Friday picture features the famous Emerald Pool on Dominica. Taken by the talented photographers at ISLANDS Magazine, the pool is without doubt one of the most popular attractions, and is perhaps one of Dominica’s most photographed natural sites.
The Emerald pool as its name suggest is also known as the “Crystal Pool”. This small waterfall and natural pool is located on the northern edge of the Morne Trois National Park and is filled with glistening clear spring water. Legend says if you swim in the Emerald Pool it will take 10 years off your life. Whether that is true or not doesn’t matter. Just seeing natural wonders like this on a mysterious tropical island will make you forget about every worry-some care you have. If that doesn’t make you feel younger then I don’t know what will.
The Caribbean isn’t all all mega-resorts, blue water and white sand beaches. Some of the best the Caribbean has to offer is covered by lush rainforest and only visible through tree-filtered sunlight. A pirates world it is, one only need to find where “X” marks the spot.
Have a great weekend Castaways! Let me know if you’ve ever been to the Emerald Pool and what you thought.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page