Step One: Remove Shoes. Step Two: Order Rum and Pineapple. Step Three: See Step Two.
This week’s Caribbean Beach Bar is called Sundowners, located directly on the white sands of Half Moon Bay on the Honduran Bay Island of Roatan. There is a reason it’s called Sundowners , this beach bar is ground zero for the best sunset gazing on the island. Grab yourself an Imperial beer from the bar, sink into a beach chair and watch the sun fall from the sky. Nothing quite beats an Caribbean island sunset.
The popularity of sunset-watching is only eclipsed by the weekly game of “Chase the Ace”. From what I’ve read, every Wednesday each drink you order buys you a chance to win a growing pot of money. When the pot gets full and the odds are good, the whole town of West End will turn out for a chance to draw the Ace of Spades (the winning card). Sounds like a great drinking game, plus it’s a great way to fill the bar and sell some drinks.
Sundowners sits right on the beach, the shallow waters of Half Moon Bay are yours to explore. Wade in with an ice cold beer and beat the heat, or grab a small sail boat and cool off with the Caribbean breeze. This is living on island time at its best Castaways. Only thing to be in a hurry for is to do nothing at all.
Okay, so you can’t beat the location, but what about the food and drink right? Sundowners offers all the Honduran beers, basic well drinks, and a few blended boat drinks. I’ve heard a must try is the Monkey La La, a delicious yet deceptively potent (aren’t they all?) frozen drink. Sundowners’ food is your typical bar food. Hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, nachos, chicken wings and wraps fill the menu. You don’t go to Sundowners for a fine dining experience, you go so you can belly up to the bar, soak up a rum punch, and watch the tide roll in and out.
Sundowners is the “early” bar on Roatan. It usually calls it quits around 9 or 10 pm. If you don’t want the party to stop just get to steppin’ and follow the crowd on the nightly West End “drift dive” to the next island hot spot.
Undoubtedly the crown jewel of Honduras, Roatan has blossomed from a sparsely-populated, laid-back fishing community into an up and coming tourist destination in the Caribbean. With sweeping white-sand beaches, rolling jungle hills, and classic beach bars like Sundowners, Roatan welcomes you. Just kick off your shoes, splash around in the crystalline waters and when at Sundowners…see step two and repeat.
Let me know if you’ve had a Sundowners’ experience.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page