After one sip, you’ll be punch drunk in love with your favorite Caribbean blogger.
Planter’s Punch is a classic Boat Drink that I can’t believe I haven’t written about before. The origins or Planter’s Punch, like many drinks, are disputed. Some say it first appeared in print in a 1908 edition of the New York Times. Another claim refers to the Planter’s Hotel in St. Louis and another tells of a Jamaican planter’s wife who concocted it to cool down the workers. I like the Jamaican story, but find it hard to believe the wife would give the workers rum. Nothing would get done!
There are several variations of the Planter’s Punch recipe floating around out there: some with orange juice, with grenadine, with curaçao, with Angostura bitters, with just about any ingredients vaguely Caribbean — even cayenne pepper (Love to spice it up). If you want to get a little crazy you can top it off with 1/2 oz. or Bacardi 151. Garnishes range from none to sensible to amusing to ridiculous. Whatever the drink may come decorated with, it will surely put a smile on your face and have you dreaming about island time.
Planter’s Punch Drink Recipe
- 1 oz. Light Rum
- 2 oz. Dark Rum
- 2 oz. Orange Juice
- 2 oz. Pineapple Juice
- 1/2 oz. Lime Juice
- Dash Grenadine
- Orange Slice & Cherry for garnish
Combine 3 juices and Rum in a shaker with ice. Shake well, and strain into an ice filled Collins glass. Top with grenadine. Garnish with an Orange slice and a Maraschino Cherry. Add a little Nutmeg if you’re feeling adventurous. Then raise glass and toast.
Now go put on your Hawaiian Punch hat, turn Jimmy Buffett up on the stereo, and mix yourself up a delicious Planter’s Punch.
Don’t forget, we are doing FREE Shipping on Castaways Koozies till March 15. Spring is coming!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page