It’s such a romantic idea. You’re strolling along the beach, taking in the smells, sounds and colors, when something alien catches your eye. At first glance it looks like trash that has washed ashore, but as you creep closer it transforms into so much more. You have just stumbled across a half buried glass bottle with what seems to be a piece of paper inside. You have just found yourself a real life message in a bottle.
Finding a message in a bottle on a deserted beach in the Caribbean may seem like a unrealistic fairy tale, but it happens. It happens a lot more than you think. I’ve read that the islands of Antigua and Barbuda are some of the best places to find these ocean time capsules. People walk certain windward beaches on these islands daily and can find several bottles a week. I believe it has something to do with a looping ocean current from Africa that turns north right where Antigua and Barbuda are located.
Can you imagine finding one of these bottles, opening it, and looking at note that was written years, if not decades earlier and in a different language? I don’t know about you, but that would be a story I would be telling for some time.
Enjoy today’s Photo Friday and let us know if you’ve ever stumbled upon a message in a bottle. All us Castaways would love to hear your story!
Photo credit goes to Antiguan via flickr.
Daily Reminder – Please vote for me for the Marriott Beach Blogger contest. You can vote once every 24 hours. Voting ends March 24th. Thanks!
Have a great weekend everyone.
Don’t forget, we are doing FREE Shipping on Castaways Koozies till March 15. 4 more days.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page