Happy St. Patrick’s Day Castaways!
When you think of St. Patrick’s Day you most likely think of the island country of Ireland and not of Caribbean islands. Fun fact, the island of Montserrat has a lot of Irish history and they know how to throw one hell of a St. Paddy’s Day party. That’s right, this Emerald Island of the Caribbean greets its guests shamrocks and sunshine.
St Patrick’s Day is celebrated on Montserrat to remember the island’s Irish Heritage which dates back to the 17th century. The Irish connections are still evident today from the moment you arrive on the island and receive their shamrock passport stamp. During the St Patrick’s Day festival, visitors will notice many locals wearing national dress – in which green is the dominant color – and both Guinness and ‘Green’ Heineken are available in bars alongside the customary rum punch cocktails. I wonder, do the make the rum punch green? Think I’ll stick to green beer.
Montserrat’s Irish heritage stems from when the island became a haven for Irish Catholics who were persecuted on other Caribbean islands. By 1678, a census showed that more than half the people on the island were Irish, so it is hardly surprising that the Irish had such a strong influence on the island’s developing culture. During St Patrick’s Day, visitors will notice many locals wearing national dress – in which green is the dominant color – and both Guinness and ‘Green’ Heineken are available in bars aside the customary rum punch cocktails.
Don’t Forget! – Please vote for me for the Marriott Beach Blogger contest. You can vote once every 24 hours. Voting ends March 24th. Thanks Guys!
Drink some green beer for me! Cheers,
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page