St. Lucia is said to be the “Romantic Island” of the Caribbean. Stunning water, fantastic resorts, and of course the natural beauty of its majestic Pitons help give it this lovey-dovey nickname. When I see the Pitons though, I think just one thing…I have to get to the top.
The Pitons are two volcanic plugs located on the southwest end of St. Lucia and are a UNESCO World Heritage Site. These St. Lucian icons go by the names of Gros Piton (2,619 ft.) and Petit Piton (2,461 ft.). While Gros Piton is slightly taller, Petit is the much tougher climb.
You can find an official guide center at the base of Gros Piton that will give you the history of the Pitons and sends you up the marked trail with a certified guide. To summit the tougher Petit you need to do a little more work. Stop in the town of Soufrière and ask around for a local guide. There is no official trail or tourist office for this climb. You don’t need to be an experience climber to summit the Pitons but you will need to be somewhat in shape, be good on your feet and be ready for a work out.
The Pitons are so alluring that I couldn’t pick just one photo to feature them for today’s Photo Friday. Enjoy the collection.
What do you see when you see these twin beauties? If you’ve hiked to the top of either of the Pitons I would love to hear your story. Please leave a comment below.
Don’t Forget! – Please vote for me for the Marriott Beach Blogger contest. You can vote once every 24 hours. Voting ends March 24th. Thanks Guys!
Have a great weekend Castaways. Looking forward to seeing some of you today at the NSR and Mishka concert and the Chesney concert tomorrow!
P.S. - Leaving soon? These recommended links below will help you save money and book your trip:
- Grab a Caribbean Preferred Card. It will save you a ton of money. It gives you access to the largest collection of island discounts & promotions. Click here to learn more.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page