Hey, let’s go play in the Sandbox! No, we didn’t magically morph back to when we were 5 years old and thought the sandbox was the coolest thing ever. I’m talking about the sandbox for adults. Welcome to the Sandbox Beach Bar on Prickly Pear Island in the BVI. Let’s go play!
There are so many great beach bars in the British Virgin Islands. It seems like every time you round the point of one island another beach front wateringhole is waving you in. After rounding Angilla Point on Virgin Gorda you’ll enter North Sound, and Prickly Pear Island, home of the Sandbox Beach Bar, will be sitting right in front of you. Yes, waving you in.
Prickly Pear lays claim to several of the territory’s most wonderful beaches including the ever popular Vixen Point! Swimming, snorkeling, hiking and limin’ at the Sand Box Beach Bar are the four main things to do here. Sounds like my kind of place.
The Sandbox Beach Bar is a great place to toss anchor and waste away the day in the Caribbean sun. Chillax, order a rum punch, rent a lounge chair and soak in the spectacular views of North Sound. Don’t fee like sitting around, try your hand at volleyball, hiking in the park or swimming and snorkeling in the crystalline waters.
After all that island exploration you’re going to be hungry. The Sandbox serves lunch and dinner. Lucille (Sandbox owner) specializes in fresh lobster and other seafood dishes grilled to perfection! I’ve heard her delicious conch fritters are a must try. But if you really want to try something good, just ask for “Lucy’s Luscious Lobster Salad” which is one of the house specialties.
The restaurant (which seats up to 70 people) was built in 1996 and is open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner.
If you’ve had the pleasure of limin’ at the Sandbox we would love to hear what you thought.
So many beach bars, so little time. The Sandbox on Prickly Pear is one more paradise playground that needs to be added to your ever growing list. I have a feeling a day spent here will make you feel like that 5 year old kid that just wants to tool around in the sand and doesn’t have a care in the world. Who wants to go play?
Contact the Sandbox Beach Bar and Restaurant at (284) 495-9122
or e:mail Lucille at [email protected]
(Top photo from bluescruise.com)
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page