I really have a treat for you guys today. I want to introduce you to artist Jan Bennett and her Sun Lyon Studio. Jan has an island soul and a gift for crafting truly special, ocean inspired jewelry.
“I crave the freedom of floating in silence, to set free…
..those thoughts that bind me”
In love with the Caribbean Sea, Jan began her expression thru jewelry by bezeling sea glass that she gathered off the beaches of St. Croix. A self-taught metalsmith and PADI Scuba Instructor, she lived in the Virgin Islands for 17 years before she made a move to Louisiana.
Having strong family ties to Louisiana, witnessing Katrina and Rita from St. Croix, was an awakening experience for Jan. She made the move to Louisiana in February of 2006 to be a part of the rebuilding process. Currently she lives and works in both the U. S. Virgin Islands and Louisiana. As life experiences both challenge and inspire her spirit, Jan focuses her designs on life’s ever changing tides. She melts precious metals with emotion (sometimes, adding a bit of whimsy) to create her truly unique line of jewelry.
“I personally design my pieces beginning with a simple message or image that I want to share. I fabricate my jewelry starting with raw materials, sterling sheet and 6-20 gauge silver wire, using mixed media, 14kt gold accents & whatever else seems to make the piece “happen”. Me, myself & I, hammer, saw, file, solder, stamp, bless and yes, even polish my own pieces. I love to use rivets or what we call “cold connections” to allow my pieces to have moving parts. I have also invented a few of my designs by carving wax and using the process of lost wax casting.
“Nearly every piece of SUN LYON STUDIO jewelry was designed and created to be worn as a token of personal energies, inspirations and experiences which have shaped our lives.”
If you would like to get your hands on some of Jan’s wearable island art, please visit her website at www.sunlyonstudio.com or email her at sunlyonstudio (at) yahoo.com. Follow the Sun Lyon Studio Facebook page and see how Jan creates her jewelry and what new designs she’s working on.
Welcome to the Coconut Connection Jan!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page