It’s blazing hot, the temperature is hovering around 95 degrees and the humidity isn’t far behind. Your body is in dire need of something wet and refreshing. The bartender of the beach bar on St. Somewhere hands you an ice cold Carib beer. You throw back your head and the golden 34 degree beverage flows into your body. A near orgasmic feeling of refreshing satisfaction falls over you. Success.
You wipe your mouth with your sweaty shirt and think to yourself, “shouldn’t a beverage this delicious and refreshing have it’s own day or something?” You’re in luck, beer does have it’s own day, it’s today, now go grab a towel.
April 7 is National Beer Day. This unofficial holiday actually has some meaning behind it. It’s the day in 1933 that President Franklin Roosevelt enacted the Cullen-Harrison Act, the first step toward the December 5 repeal of Prohibition.
Here is some Beer Day History
In 1933 during the prohibition era, the Cullen-Harrison Act was signed into law by President Franklin Roosevelt on March 23rd. That law was enacted on April 7th allowing the brewing and sale of beer in the United States again as long as it was < 3.2% (4% ABV). It’s said that people waited in line overnight on April 6th outside Milwaukee breweries in order to legally buy beer for the first time in over 13 years. As a result, April 7th is known as National Beer Day and April 6th is called New Beers Eve. So this April, tell all your friends about this glorious new holiday, and raise a glass, bottle, can, or mug to the deliciousness that is beer.
How are you going to celebrate National Beer Day? Okay, so it’s not the end all be all of holidays, but it’s still good to pay homage to our friend. Not having at least one beer on National Beer Day is like going to Key West and not having a cheese burger at Margaritaville. It’s like wearing black socks with sandals as you stroll Seven Mile Beach on Grand Cayman. It’s like going to the Miami Rum Festival and not having your picture taken with the bikini clad bartenders. It’s just something you can’t do.
I will be sitting on my patio tonight watching the sun fall from the western sky and celebrating with a refreshing Bahamian Kalik. I undoubtedly will be making embarrassing satisfaction noises with every gulp. Can’t help it, I love beer. How will you be celebrating?
Cheers Castaways, raise that glass high.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page