How do you make a Caribbean beach bar perfect? You give it personality, you give it character. You give it a touch of weirdness with a dash of love, then let the beautiful beach setting take care of the rest. This week’s featured beach bar has the right ingredients for perfect.
Last week as I was logging into No Shoes Radio,the background photo jumped out at me. It was a picture of a disheveled looking beach bar, one that I’d never seen before. I was able to just barely decipher the name of the place…Pete’s Pub. A quick Google search and I was off to soak up as much info as I could find on this odd looking place.
Pete’s Pub is located in Little Harbour in the Abaco Islands of the Bahamas. It is the type of harbour (Bahamian Spelling) that you think of when you dream of a perfect paradise. Arrive by boat, if possible, or cab it on the one-lane sandy road. What ever your mode of transport, you’ll feel you’ve arrived at the edge of the world. Little Harbour has a narrow opening to the sea and filled with calm transparent blue water. It’s home to stringrays, island hopping boaters and a little eclectic place called Pete’s Pub.
At first glance you would think the place was just hit by a hurricane, but you would be wrong. Pete’s Pub looks to be built with what ever happened to by laying on the beach. Things like drift wood, an old boat hull, a big anchor and even a random traffic signal are used to give the beach bar its “character” I talked about earlier. All ingredients for a perfect memory.
Do you know another ingredient besides a charming ambiance that give a beach bar its legendary status? If you’re answer is a damn good rum punch then you’re right! Pete’s Pub has a rum punch call the “Blaster” and is said to be the best in the Bahamas. Doesn’t every beach bar say that? I’m sure the famous Nippers Beach Bar in the Abacos would have something to say about that. I think a taste challenge is in order!
Dock your boat and walk up to the old bar sitting in the sand and order your Blaster. The “Inside” of the bar is covered in customized tee shirts that have been nailed up over the years. Peruse the chalkboard menu and order your island meal. I hear the fish sandwich and burgers are killer good. Don’t eat too much though, you need to save room for another Blaster.
You can dine and relax on the boarded deck area that sits next to the waters of Little Harbour or sit at one of the outdoor picnic tables in the sand.
I’m always searching for that perfect “one particular harbor” that feels like home and this just might be it. Little Harbour and Pete’s Pub are treasures in a sea of riches that need to be experienced. Just add a pinch of craziness, a dash of charming personality, mix it with the natural beauty of Little Harbour, then top it all off with some smooth rum. That’s how you make perfect, perfect.
Let me know if you’ve ever had the pleasure of visiting Pete’s Pub and what you thought.
Pete’s Pub, Great Abaco Island
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page