Everyone knows what happened in Cuba’s Bay of Pigs 50 years ago. It set the tone for the “unfriendly” relationship between the United States and the largest of the Caribbean islands. But what about now?
Today’s Photo Friday photo is a picture of el Bahía de Cochinos, the Bay of Pigs. It’s a beautiful photo, one that tells a different story from the one that we read in history books. It tells of fisherman setting out on the sea to catch their food and trade. It tells of natural beauty and a world that doesn’t need America.
Things are slowly changing in Cuba and tense relations with the US are starting to cool. To me this is a good thing and a bad, a double edged sword in a way.
Yes, I would love to see Cuba. I would love to walk the streets of Havana, take in the history and visit the beautiful beaches the country has to offer. But it won’t just be me, it will be millions of Americans doing the same thing. You think that’s going to have an effect on Cuba? You think that’s going to have an effect on the beautiful quiet beach pictured above? You bet it will. The natural state the island finds itself in now will change.
Sure Cuba get’s its share of European tourists and has a number of resorts scattered around the island, but it’s nothing compared to what will happen if the American tourist flood gates are opened. Hopefully by the time that happens Cuba’s government will have enough self control to limit the resorts, limit the golf courses and save the true identity of Cuba.
Do you have any desire to visit and explore Cuba if and when the US embargo is lifted?
(Photo by Robin Thom via Flickr)
Enjoy your weekend Castaways!
P.S. - Leaving soon? These recommended links below will help you save money and book your trip:
- Grab a Caribbean Preferred Card. It will save you a ton of money. It gives you access to the largest collection of island discounts & promotions. Click here to learn more.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page