Mona Island is the third largest island of the archipelago of Puerto Rico, after the main island of Puerto Rico and Vieques. It is the largest of three islands located in the Mona Passage, a strait between the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.
Puerto Rico is known worldwide for its pristine beaches and luxury resorts. Travelers come to this Caribbean Island to take advantage of the natural beauty and luxury Puerto Rico Resorts. What many don’t get to experience are the ‘untouched’ natural wonders surrounding Puerto Rico.
Located in the Mona Passage, Mona Island is something you don’t read much about. This natural preserve is a flat plateau surrounded by dazzling cliffs on most sides. On Mona, you’ll find many species that are either endangered or cannot be found anywhere else in the world. If is for this reason that Mona is often compared to the Galapagos Islands.
Take a tour of Mona and you’ll find countless species of animals. On land, the Mona Iguana freely roams the island but cannot be found anywhere else in the world. You’ll also find several species of rare birds. In the ocean, several endangered species of sea turtles swim freely amongst the unspoiled mangroves and rich coral reefs. If you’re lucky, you may catch a glimpse of dolphins or humpback whales.
Things to do in Mona
Most visitors spend a great deal of time simply exploring the island. For ocean-lovers, it has been said that Mona offers some of the best snorkeling and diving in the Caribbean. Healthy coral reefs, clear visibility and warm waters attract ocean-lovers from around the world to this off the beaten path island.
Camping 0n Mona Island
You won’t find any hotels on Mona. In fact, the only way to stay overnight is to pitch a tent on the inland. Camping is allowed on three different beaches and is restricted to weekends-only during hunting season.
Getting to Mona Island
Accessing Mona can be done from the towns of Mayaguez and Cabo Rojo in Puerto Rico. Charter boats carry visitors to the island. Since the trip takes 6 hours, you may want to plan to spend at least a couple days.
Next time you’re in Puerto Rico, consider spending a couple days of your vacation in the natural wonder that is Mona Island.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Enid_Glasgow
If anyone has explored Mona Island, I would love to know what you thought.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page