After one sip, you’ll be dodging canon ball fire.
What’s not to like about Jamaica, it has beautiful world famous beaches, all-inclusive resorts, Red Stripe beer, Dunns River Falls, a rich history and is the birth place of reggae music. Check, check and check. Oh yeah, then there’s also the road side jerk chicken stands…big check.
Another thing Jamaica is known for is being the home of Appleton rum. Appleton Estate is a sugar estate and distillery in Jamaica that has been handcrafting rums since 1749. They produce a wide variety of aged rums, as well as standard gold and white rums. Located in the heart of the country’s sugar cane belt, it is the oldest sugar estate and distillery in Jamaica. The Estate’s sugar cane is harvested by machine as well as the old-fashioned way—by men wielding machetes. (Info from Wikipedia)
I got the chance try several of the Appleton rums at the Rum Renaissance, and while I’m no tasting expert, you can tell the Appleton is a top notch rum. As I walked away from their exhibit table with a smile on my face, I grabbed a recipe card, and that is where I found today’s Boat Drink recipe…The Jamaicanite.
The Jamaicanite Cocktail Recipe
- 1/2 oz. Lemon Juice
- Juice of Half a Grapefruit
- 3/4 oz. Honey syrup
- 2 Dashes of Angostura Bitters
- 2 oz. Appleton Estate Reserve
Add all ingredients into shaker by order of the recipe with crushed ice. Shake well. Strain ingredients into a frozen Martini glass. Raise glass and toast.
Are you a fan of Appleton rums? If so, what is your favorite?
Side note: Today is the 30th anniversary of Bob Marley’s death. Definitely one more amazing thing that Jamaica has given the world. One Love Bob.
Enjoy your hump day cocktail Castaways!
P.S. - Leaving soon? These recommended links below will help you save money and book your trip:
- Grab a Caribbean Preferred Card. It will save you a ton of money. It gives you access to the largest collection of island discounts & promotions. Click here to learn more.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page