Imagine yourself waking up in the morning, throwing open the curtains and staring out at the Caribbean Blue. It’s a Tuesday and you have to go to work, but you couldn’t be happier. You gladly jump into your flip flops, fire up the jeep and head to Coral Bay to heat up the grill. Okay, so you work the kitchen and sling drinks at a Caribbean beach bar, life is pretty good right? It can be better. How would you like to call this waterfront watering hole yours? Your very own slice of the Caribbean.
It may sound like a fairytale but it’s not. This could be you. A Castaway living the dream. How?
Shipwreck Landing, a popular waterfront restaurant in Coral Bay on St. John is for sale. The price tag is a cool $1.5 million. Small change for a working waterfront restaurant in the Caribbean, especially on St. John. The listing broker is Islandia Real Estate.
Shipwreck Landing is a great stop for people traveling out to Salt Pond and is a popular place for mooring yachties in Coral Bay. There is live music most weekends and I hear it’s the place to be on Wednesday nights for locals. During season Shipwreck Landing brings in some of the best stateside live music and you never know who will stop by to sit in with their own talented local musicians. Hmmm, maybe a hillbilly rockstar?
Yes, you could take this over. You could be the one booking the musicians, making jokes with the tourists and telling locals how you made the dream of jumping from office jockey to Caribbean bar owner come true.
The real estate includes several retail spaces across from the restaurant building, suitable (and currently leased by) gift shops.
The listing also offers hope: “Plenty of room to expand or possibly add dock.” A reasonable person would assume from this description that the property includes rights to the waterfront across the road from the restaurant – just imagine the traffic issues that could create with wait persons and customers moving back and forth. (From News of St. John)
Shipwreck is a wonderful and casual place. Open to the trade winds and views of Coral Bay, it will keep seducing people to it’s tables for a long time. One could really feel comfortable here and fall into a way of life that most only fantasize about. Is the future new owner of Shipwreck reading this story? Is he or she a Castaway? I really hope so, because then I’ll know where I can go to grab a cold beer on the house, hear a funny joke or two, and listen to a story about making dreams come true.
Update: The landlord is selling the land and buildings, with the restaurant and gift shops having leases in place.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page