Have you ever wondered why most of the population centers in the Caribbean are located on the lee, or west side of the island? Not all, but most follow this pattern.
Georgetown, Grand Cayman – Oranjestad, Aruba – Kralendijk, Bonaire – St. Georges, Grenada – Bridgetown, Barbados – Castries, St. Lucia – Fort de France, Martinique – St. John’s, Antigua – Basseterre, St. Kitts – Cruz Bay, St. John…all follow this design.
I know what you’re thinking, “Hey genius, they do that because it’s the calm side of the island, sheltered from the constant trade winds.” This is true, but I think island settlers put their main cities on the lee side for another reason.
Just look at this photo of a Caribbean sunset on the island of Virgin Gorda in the BVI. Absolutely stunning. The vivid colors slowly transitioning into each other all the way to the horizon and the distant black islands create a rip like border that separates the day’s last yellows and the deep purple of the sea. Magical.
Yes this boat looks as if it will never float on the waves again, but I’m sure it doesn’t mind as long as it can take in inspiring vistas like this on a daily basis.
You tell me what you would do if you were in charge of picking the location of the main settlement on an island and you could look at sunsets like this nightly. Something tells me you would be looking for a safe harbor on the leeward side.
Thank you to Jordana Wright of Jordana Wright Photography for the amazing photo.
Have a great weekend Castaways.
Cheers to seeing your own island sunsets.
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page