The Wreck Bar as been around in one form or another since the 1950’s, when it started out as a simple thatch covered bar that served cold drinks to the locals. Today the Wreck Bar is a lot more. It has become the focal point at Rum Point for locals and tourist alike.
The locals have this place down to a science. The show up early and enjoy the calm waters and quiet serene setting. Then around mid-morning the cruise ship passengers arrive to eat their conch fritter, enjoy a cold drink and head out on their Stingray City excursion. After about 2 hours the tourist rush is over and Rum Point goes back to a quiet place to chillax.
Local legend says that the world’s first mudslide was made here, created by a bartender named Old Judd. The Wreck bar serves over 400 mudslides a day to cruise ship passengers that are eager to taste a bit of history.
The Wreck Bar’s grill serves up an extensive menu made up with a mix of West Indian and American fare. You can find everything from spicy red conch chowder, conch fritters and thick jerk pork sandwiches to salads, club sandwiches, hamburgers and hot dogs. But come on people, you didn’t travel to Grand Cayman to eat club sandwiches and hot dogs did you? Try the local items like conch and any of the freshly caught seafood.
The Wreck Bar has dining outside and live music plays on the beach during the weekends. The bar has an extensive “Boat Drinks” list, though the big sellers are the home-made mudslides, especially the high-powered concoction called the Attlee mudslide made with premium liquors.
The Wreck Bar is open daylight hours only, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. However, the beach doesn’t close so there’s no reason you have to leave, especially on weekends when the live music resumes at the affiliated Rum Point Restaurant, which opens after the Wreck Bar closes.
The infamous “welcome” sign to the Wreck Bar lists the top questions NOT to ask:
Do you live here?
No, We just ski from Miami daily!
Is that Cuba on the horizon?
Can we get US change back?
Toto, we aren’t in Kansas any more!
Where is the best to snorkel?
Try the water!
Do you sell imported beer?
Sure, most of our staff are imported too!
Can you swim under the island?
You can try, but pay your tab first!
How much for a virgin mudslide?
Cups of ice are free!
Do you sell rum here?
WELCOME TO RUM POINT!!
Have you been to Rum Point and the Wreck Bar? I would love to hear what you thought.
Cheers to another Caribbean Beach Bar we all need to add to our ever growing list!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page