After one sip, you’ll be sliding into a happy place.
While I was writing yesterday’s post about the Wreck Bar at Rum Point on Grand Cayman, I learned that some people say that the popular Mudslide cocktail was invented there. I haven’t heard of any other places making a claim on the Mudslide so I’ll accept this as truth.
The thing is the Wreck Bar Mudslide and most other Mudslide recipes are made with vodka as the alcohol type. While I’m not one to mess with other people’s recipes, especially the people who invented the cocktail, I can’t help but think this would be better with rum. Aren’t most things?
Here is the Mudslide recipe for the Wreck Bar at Grand Cayman
Attlee Mudslide Recipe
- 1-1/4 oz Absolut vodka
- 1-1/4 oz Kahlua
- 1-1/4 oz Bailey Irish Cream
Mixing instructions: Blend with 14 oz of crushed ice and sprinkle with cinnamon. Serve with a straw. Raise glass and toast.
Sounds good, but I think we can make it better. Let’s replace the vodka and add rum. I’m thinking a nice dark rum like Cruzan Black Strap, Kraken or Myer’s Rum would be a huge upgrade. Then instead of blending all the ingredients with ice, let’s blend it with two scoops of vanilla ice cream. We’ll call this the Castaway Mudslide.
The Castaway Mudslide Recipe
- 2 oz Rum (Cruzan Black Strap, Kraken or Myer’s Dark)
- 2 oz Kahlua
- 2 oz Irish cream
- 2 Scoops Vanilla ice-cream (add till desired texture)
- 1 oz Chocolate syrup
Mixing instructions: Add all liquid ingredient into mixer. Add vanilla ice cream and mix. Pour into a glass drizzled with chocolate syrup. Raise glass and toast.
I don’t know about you but the Castaway Mudslide recipe sounds almost magical. Like a chocolate milkshake with a kick! What better way to beat the summer sizzle than with one of these frozen boat drinks.
Let me know what Mudslide recipe you like better or if you have a variation of your own.
(Photo from b.kelsch via Flickr)
Happy Hump Day Castaways!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page