Today is the first official day of summer. It’s the day when that big bright ball in the sky shines on us the longest and gives us the most time get outside and enjoy the outdoors.
Summertime means freedom, it means dropping the top on that convertible and letting the wind blow through your hair. Summertime means escape, it means cashing in those vacations days, setting your sights on a shady beach on your St. Somewhere and letting your worries melt away like the ice in your rum punch. Summertime means two bare feet on the dashboard, young love in an old Ford, cheap shades and tattoo and a Yoo-hoo bottle rollin’ on the floorboard.
That last one sound familiar? I’d be disappointed if it didn’t.
Kenny Chesney’s “Summertime” continues to be a summer anthem. It’s about being free, being alive and enjoying life. Something we seek during these hot days of summer.
Kenny Chesney Summertime Video
The other months just don’t quite have what Summer has. Spring is close because the days are getting warmer and new beginnings are in the air. But Springs likes to throw curve balls at you by giving you a nice day in the 60’s or even 70’s, then a day later will dump 6 inches of snow on your head. Thanks Spring.
Fall is Fall. You might think it’s nice because it gives you a reprieve from the Summer heat and the tree leaves turn pretty colors. But if you’re anything like me you don’t want that reprieve, you want those warm days to last forever. Plus Fall is just the stepping stone to the worst of them all…Winter
I’m not even going to get into Winter. It’s the worst. Grey skies for 5 months, freezing temperatures, ice covered windshields…no thanks. You don’t see anyone writing happy sing-along songs about Winter do you? No. I despise Winter so much I moved 1500 miles away from it, to the land of the endless summer. South Florida I love you.
I hope all you Castaways have a great Summer. Tonight raise a cold one to cruising around with the rag top down and two tanned feet firmly placed on that dashboard.
(Photo from NoShoesRadio.com)
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page