Your cruise ship docks at the pier on beautiful Grand Turk island in the Turks and Caicos. You shuffle off with the hundreds of other passengers and are instantly assaulted by tourist shops and chain bars (sorry Margaritaville). There’s nothing inherently wrong with enjoying yourself in this atmosphere, but it’s hard to get a feeling for the island this way. Let your salty soul take you down the beach a little ways to a little place called the Jack Shack.
Jack Shack gives visitors a Grand Turk experience on the sandy deck overlooking some of the bluest water in the Caribbean. Your hosts, Jack and Janet, and grill chef, LeRoy, serve up daily island specials and cold drinks. Kick back and relax in the shade while you savor the sounds and smells of true island music and cuisine. Be sure to try the local Bambarra Rum and Turk’s Head beer. As Team Cocktail says, Travel Global and Drink Local!
Don’t miss daily sightings of “Spotty” their famous 7 foot spotted eagle ray. Water sports gear is available so you can cool off in that spectacular crystalline blue water.
Full resort facilities include FREE Internet access, lounge chairs, floats, beach umbrellas, volleyball gear, showers, restrooms, storage lockers, diving gift shop and lots of local knowledge for your enjoyment of our island.
Chef Leroy is the consummate Caribbean chef who learned his skills in the tourist industry of Montego Bay, Jamaica. Leroy has brought his recipes for chicken and fish to our small island from Mobay. Jack Shack is famous for Leroy’s Jerk chicken, and the smells bring in the crowds for the finger licking goodness. Jack Shack also serves up a mean spicy steamed conch, fish stews, and peas and rice..
Jack’s Shack is the culmination of Jack’s career in waterfront construction around the world. Jack’s last marine construction project was the Grand Turk Cruise port. He meet Janet and stayed on island – the rest is history.
Jack found his slice of paradise and wants all of us to enjoy it as well. The fantasy of a mojito hut on the beach came to reality when he teamed up a local diving company to build a new dive shop along the best beach in Grand Turk within walking distance of the new cruise terminal. Setting up the tiki hut on a spacious deck, he was instantly ready to serve cold drinks in a relaxing beach atmosphere. Janet, a relocated Canadian nurse, brought the crowds with her lavish pours and great personality. Together they enjoy sharing their island stories with the cruise ship passengers willing to venture out along the sandy beach to experience paradise.
Let me know if you’ve had the pleasure of enjoying time at the Jack Shack.
(Top photo from sedlakwilliamson.blogspot.com)
Cheers to adding another must visit Caribbean beach bar to the ever growing list!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page