Some call it Woman Island, some say Island of Women, however you choose to translate it, the ancient and true name is Isla Mujeres.
An island of women, now wouldn’t that be a fantasy land treat. Back to reality boys. Isla Mujeres got its name because it was the Mayan sanctuary to goddess Ixchel for about a thousand years. This tiny Mexican Caribbean gem is located just off the Yucatan, a few miles north of Cancun. It now lures people to its white sand beaches and slow motion island vibe. A place to unwind from the craziness of Cancun.
Take a moment and stare at the photo above. That is a lonely beach chair staring right back at you, and if it could speak it would say that it wants you to come sit, take a load off, enjoy the beautiful Caribbean vistas. Then when you think things can’t get any better, some one will walk up and offer you an ice cold Sol or Corona. Ahhhh, the life.
At least that’s what I see when I stare at this photo. If you’ve been a regular reader of this blog then I’m guessing it’s saying something very similar to you as well.
(Photo from tjplebe and R.R. Photography via Flickr)
Enjoy your Friday Castaways!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page