Funky, rustic, local, waterfront, true Key West. These are the words I would choose to describe the Schooner Wharf Bar, a little piece of old Key West that just keeps getting better with time. Kind of like a nice rum!
I have been to Key West many times before, but never to Schooner Wharf. I know, I should be beaten with a large stick. This time would be different though.
My friends and I did a couple sunset cruises that left out of Key West marina, and guess what else is there? Yup, Schooner Wharf. Schooner Wharf became our hang out place (pre-departure drink stop) before we left for the cruise. It happened to become our post cruise refilling station as well. What’s that real estate phrase again…Location Location Location.
An island institution since 1984, this eclectic open-air bar — located on the site of the old Singleton Shrimp factory — beckons tourists and locals with its unique blend of island charisma, delicious food, excellent live music and of course cold beverages. While we were there the SWINGIN’ HARPOON BLUES BAND was on stage rockin’ the place hard. They had a unbelievable 21 year old guitar player named Jamie, that was out of this world talented.
Schooner Wharf Bar History
The Schooner Wharf was originally located on the Schooner Diamante, the bar moved ashore, where the top shelf liquor was kept in the top drawer of a filing cabinet! The bar has evolved into a very special place over the years. It has expanded into a neighboring building and added a second-floor deck with a beautiful view of the classic yachts of Key West’s Historic Seaport; available, like the bar’s dining room, for private parties.
Although it has become a favorite for many, the bar has never lost the rustic charm and warmth that made it the saloon of choice for many of Key West’s most famous names. With Mr. Buffett’s Shrimpboat Sound studio located just a few yards away, I’m sure many of its musical ledgends have stopped by for a drink and grub.
Fresh stone crab claws, peel-and-eat shrimp, fresh-shucked oysters, and, of course, conch chowder and fritters, are among the local seafood delicacies on the menu in the galley. Chicken wings, eight-ounce burgers, and juicy steak sandwiches are always on hand for the land-lubber. Sadly we didn’t try any of the food, unless you count the lime after the tequila shot.
If you haven’t made your way off Duval Street and found Schooner Wharf yet, make it a priority on your next visit. You’ll fall in love just as I did.
Schooner Wharf Bar Music
It seems like there is always some great acts playing at Schooner Wharf. Here is one that you should definitely see if you can.
SCHOONER WHARF BAR
202 William Street – Key West, Florida 33040 – Ph: (305) 292-3302
Getting to Key West
If you’re ready to make that trip to the land salty pirates, you should look into the Key West Express. The Key West Express is the fast ferry from Fort Myers Beach to Key West. It’s how we travel to Key West 90% of the time.
You can read about the Key West ferry here.
Where To Stay in Key West
Crystal and I have been to Key West dozens and dozens of times. We’ve stayed all over the island, from resorts, to B&B’s, and even a hostel, we are happy to give you a few ideas so you can spend more time in Key West.
- Parrot Key Hotel & Villas
- La Concha Hotel – Great location on Duval Street
- Avalon Bed & Breakfast – Southern Duval Street
- Old Town Manor – Bed & Breakfast just off Duval Street
- Casa Marina Resort – Oceanfront South Island, More Luxury
- The Artist House – “Haunted” B&B just off Duval Street
- Southern Most House – Stunning Old Key West Mansion on the ocean
We hope you have a great trip to Key West and a legendary time at the Schooner Wharf Bar. If you’ve already been, hit us up on Instagram at @CaribbeanCastaways and tell us about your most memorable experience at Schooner Wharf.
Cheers and never stop exploring!
Ryan – RumShopRyan
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page