Good morning Castaways, this is a guest post by Michael Bracy about how to find great rums. Cheers!
As many spirit enthusiasts know, finding the ideal rum to quench the needs of a distinct palate can be a rather tedious process. Not everybody enjoys the same aging and distilling methods, but few actually take the time to seek out the litany of options available. It’s time we leave the confinements of our local liquor stores and supermarkets, and see the world of rum for what it’s really worth. Just because you’re looking to expand your horizon doesn’t mean you have to break the bank.
FindTheBest has introduced five unique, yet affordable, rums that are guaranteed to make your next island blowout a memorable one . . .or maybe one that would be better off forgotten.
Ron Abuelo : Coming straight out of Panama, the Ron Abuelo rum boasts a 40% alcohol content with the maturity of a 12 year old aged spirit. For only $25, this rum is definitely worth a shot.
Vizcaya VXOP Solera: Distilled by a family who has been making rum since 1820, the Vizcaya company is keen on bringing the flavor of Cuba to rum enthusiasts around the world. Complete with a
Double Gold rating from the 2011 San Francisco World Spirits Competition, and a price tag of $35, this rum won’t disappoint.
Pampero Aniversario: Representing the region of Venezuela, this rum embodies a dark molasses flavor with a cool 6 year finish. At a price of only $20 you can experience the complex, yet rich, taste with notes of brown sugar and cocoa.
Santa Teresa 1796: The only rum to be completely aged through the ancient Solera method, Santa Teresa 1796 holds a 100 rating from Wine Enthusiast Magazine. For only $40 you’re not going to want miss this firm bodied, honey scented spirit.
Araku Ron y Café: For the more adventurous drinkers, check out Santa Teresa’s combination of rum liqueur and coffee. On the rocks, chilled, or with a sweet dessert, be sure to savor the roasted coffee aroma and indulge in the creamy light vanilla-like notes.
Remember, you don’t have to splurge to drink with the big boys.
Cheers my friends!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page