Pack your bags and wrestle yourself onto the first flight you can grab to Ambergris Caye, Belize. Ambergris is home to the perfect beach town, San Pedro and home of the Palapa Bar and Grill. Located towards the north end of the island and jutting out into the Caribbean blue, the Palapa Bar will have you living the island dream as soon as you step onto the wooden planks that lead you to the bar.
Why is this beach bar so good? I think it’s because you can spend the whole day there and not even realize it. Want to eat some great food? Check. You want commanding views of the reef and friendly staff? Check and Check. You want to play in the water, float on inner tubes while drinks are lowered down to you in a bucket? Yeah, they can make that happen as well.
With boat drinks like the Kiwi Cooler, the Panty Ripper, Scotty’s Palapa Punch, and a Watermelon Whatchmacalit, the Palapa Bar will make your rum soaked ambitions come to life. Like a lot of other Caribbean beach bars, the Palapa Bar is covered in human graffiti. You’ll find everything from bar stools to the beams of the ceiling tagged with names and memories.
The owners Scott and Jodie are American expats that have made their island dreams come true. Scott is a retired Firefighter and Jodie is an Emergency Trauma Nurse. Knowing all too well that life can be short, Scott and Jodie wanted to experience a dream like no other.
After first visiting Ambergris Caye over a decade ago on their honeymoon for a week of diving, Scott and Jodie were able to experience and dive the Blue Hole, along with other beautiful Cayes and Atolls. The water and reefs were over the top beautiful, and the couple instantly fell in love with the Island and its people. Taking “the plunge” in May of 2007 Scott, Jodie and Sunny, the Palapa Poodle, relocated to the island to give island locals and visitors the best bar and grill in the Caribbean.
This groovy Caribbean Beach Bar is situated over the Caribbean Ocean overlooking the worlds second largest barrier reef. Serving great comfort foods (huge burgers), lots of liquor in the drinks and ice cold Belikin beers, Palapa Bar will stick with you and have you begging for a return.
Let us know if you’ve been to the Palapa Bar and Grill and what your experience was like.
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page