After one sip, you’ll be living the Tommy Bahama lifestyle.
What is a Rumologist? Is it a scientist wearing a white lab coat pouring rums of the world into beakers and test tubes, testing for quality? No. Is it a highly paid master blender of rum companies such as Cruzan, Appleton or Flor de Cana? No, not really, but we’re getting warmer.
A Rumologist is a lover of rum and someone that makes the island lifestyle part of their life. A Rumologist likes to experiment with cocktail recipes and knows how to throw a great party. A Rumologist is you and me.
Then you have a Tommy Bahama Rumologist. A slightly different breed.
Tommy Bahama is holding a contest to find a company Rumologist. The winner must display creative cocktail concoction skills, love adventure and the “Go Slow” island attitude. The winner gets to travel the country promoting Tommy Bahama Rum and the Tommy Brand. I believe they also get some cool Tommy threads. Sounds like a kick ass gig right!
Today’s Boat Drink recipe comes from a Tommy Bahama Rumologist finalist, our friend Carl from Conch Republic Bikinis. Tommy has picked their final 20 Rumologist candidates and now Carl needs the help of the Castaways. It’s a voting contest. Here is a link to Tommy Bahama Rumologist page – Tommy Voting Page – you’ll have to scroll until you find Carl, then click on his profile and there you can vote. You can vote once per day.
The drink! I almost forgot. Here is the Holo Holo cocktail created by Carl for the Rumologist contest. I don’t know about you, but this boat drink sounds amazing. I’m a sucker for banana drinks. I may just have to make the hour drive up I-75 to have Carl mix this bad boy up for me personally!
The Holo Holo (Travel for fun, in Hawaiian)
- Cut one and a half inches off the ends of a medium ripe banana.
- One slice of fresh ripe pineapple.
- 6 oz. Organic Coconut Juice (not milk and not coco loco). Chill the juice first. I use Lakewood brand.
- 3 oz. Tommy White Sand
- 1/2 oz. Cruzan Banana Rum
- 1 oz. Trader Vics Macadamia Nut Liqueur.
Mixing Instructions: Using only the middle, including skin, drop the banana into blender along with the rest of the ingredients. Chill banana, don’t freeze prior if possible. I like to use a small fine tip dispenser and swirl a chocolate line inside the glass, not necessary but pretty. Use an oversized ice chilled martini glass. Dispense. Garnish with fresh pineapple slice. Raise glass and toast, Mahalo!
How good does that sound right! My mouth is watering and I’m dreaming about drinking a Holo Holo at Dukes Beach Bar on Waikiki right now.
Go vote for Carl on the Tommy Bahamas Rumologist page. He not only makes a good cocktail, but he is also co-sponsoring the Conched in Key West Bar Crawl along with myself and some other great people. Come hang out with us in Key West September 17th! It’s for charity and it will be a legendary time!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page