Located on beautiful Friar’s Bay, Kali’s Beach Bar & Restaurant is a gathering spot for locals and tourists looking to lime away they day the Caribbean way. The bar and restaurant are open every day and serve their great local island cuisine for lunch and dinner. I’ve heard people claim that Kali serves some of the best BBQ on island. Seems like ever beach bar serves the best something or other on it’s island. I’m a Kansas City boy though, home of the best BBQ in the world, so Kali has a lot to live up to, but I think it will be well worth a taste challenge.
Friar’s Bay is located between Marigot and Grand Case. On the outskirts of Marigot, as you are headed toward Grand Case, you’ll see a sign for Friar’s Bay on the left. Keep going down this road until eventually, you’ll come a beautiful crescent bay with a wide, sandy beach. An extra bonus lies at the end of an easy 10-minute hike from the north side of Friar’s bay will take you to Happy Bay. This palm-lined crescent bay is surrounded by green hills and has good snorkeling around the rocks just off the beach.
Once you get firmly planted on your plot of sand, ask Kali about his home made rum or bush rum as it can be called. Our good friends at Uncommon Caribbean talked to Kali about his special blend of island rum. Read about the sun baked fruit infused bush rum here. Make sure you try some when you visit!
Kali’s Beach Bar is a great place just to lime away the day, but Kali’s is most famous for its once a month Full Moon Party. On that specific night it’s truly party time and people from all over St. Maarten/St. Martin, even people from St. Barts and Anguilla make the trip for this party. Locals and tourists, pack Kali’s for an all-night celebration with the tunes of Bob Marley and other reggae artists soothing the soul until the morning hours. Great food, camaraderie and at midnight comes the lighting of the great beach bonfire. There’s really nothing like sitting on the beach at night with a bonfire going, your mind can’t help but slip into another world of fun and relaxation.
Kali’s Full Moon Parties have become, over the years, one of St. Maarten/St. Martin’s great traditions so if you’re a party animal and you’re lucky enough to be on-island when it’s full-moon time, this is one not to be missed.
Let us know if you’ve been to Kali’s Beach Bar and what you thought.
Cheers to another great Caribbean Beach Bar!
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page