Key Largo, the gateway to the Florida Keys. It’s also one of the top sport fishing destinations in the world. I’m not much a fisherman though, those damn fish steal my bait every time, so I’ve decided that watching others fish with a boat drink in hand or finding a nice beach bar to chillax at is more my speed. Enter the Big Chill, Jimmy Johnson’s Big Chill of Key Largo.
Sadly, it seems like I usually just drive through Key Largo either going or returning from some of the other Keys and Key West. Sunday was different though. Returning from our Conched in Key West Bar Crawl, I needed to meet my buddy Carl at Jimmy Johnson’s Big Chill to film a drink video. I’d never been there before so I wasn’t quite sure what to expect.
WOW. What a complex!
Named after former Cowboys and Dolphins coach, and now Fox Sports analyst, Jimmy Johnson has taken the Big Chill and made it an entertainment mecca. Jimmy Johnson’s Big Chill at Fisherman’s Cove lures both residents and tourists alike: Come Chill Out with JJ. “The convenience of having a place to play just a few miles or so from where I sleep was a perfect find,” says the retired championship coach. “And not only that, they’re allowing me to make it even more perfect.”
Jimmy Johnson’s Big Chill is a one stop shop, it boasts indoor/outdoor waterfront dining, JJ’s Sports Bar, Raw Bar, Tiki Bar and a Pool and Cabana Club. In addition to the Big Chill, Jimmy Johnson’s Fisherman’s Cove is an exclusive Private Residence Club located on the property.
This open-to-the-public waterfront dining and entertainment facility isn’t your normal driftwood inspired beach bar sitting on the sand. In facy there’s no sand at all, the Big Chill does however have dockage and patios that sit out over the waters of Florida Bay. It’s a beautiful setting, just very commercial.
During the off-season when Jimmy isn’t bantering with Howie, Terry and the gang on Sundays for Fox Sports, he’ll be putting on his flip flops, berthing his boat, and entertaining his friends somewhere within the confines of The Big Chill at Fisherman’s Cove.
After filming our Boat Drinks video that will be posted next Thursday, Erin and I enjoyed the water views and some good food as we watched some football. She had the Sliders and I dug into some amazing Blackened Mahi Bites. They had this slightly spicy sauce on them that took the taste to another level, so good.
True Jimmy Johnson’s Big Chill isn’t a traditional beach bar, but it’s a fantastic waterfront dining and entertainment destination. If I wouldn’t of had somewhere to be later that day I would have saddled up on a stool under that expansive tiki bar and watched football all day.
Jimmy Johnson’s Big Chill
104000 Overseas Hwy
Key Largo, FL 33037
Have you been to Jimmy Johnson’s Big Chill? What did you think?
- Get a Custom Caribbean Trip Plan & Itinerary! We'll help plan your trip based on your interests and our insider knowledge. Click here to learn more.
- See our recommended Travel Credit Cards. This is how we travel for free!
- Get your flight with Skyscanner (you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page