Drugs, suspense, human relationships, murder and life on the rock – Below Mile Zero by author Brooke Babineau is a thrilling tale of guy who tries to get his life right but instead discovers the dark under belly of Key West.
I’m not much of a fictional novel reader, I tend to stick to light magazines with pretty pictures. What can I say, I’m a simple soul. Below Mile Zero however, pulled me in and I couldn’t put the book down.
Without giving to much away, the story is told through the eyes of a drifter that can’t seem to straighten out his life. He keeps finding himself in situations that threaten his freedom and the breath in his lungs. You follow the main character from his time in New Orleans to him washing ashore in Key West. Throughout the story you’ll read about real life places on the rock and you can’t help but put yourself in the same situation.
I recommend this book to anyone looking to be entertained. It’s interesting to see a different, more local and darker side to our favorite southern most island. We think of Key West as a rum soaked, happy-go-luck, anything goes type of place, but when you add drugs, sinister characters and double-crosses, even the most beautiful places can be turned into a war ground.
If you’re interested in the book here is a link for you.
If you’ve read the book, let us know what you thought of it.
- Get your flight with Skyscanner or AirfarewatchDog (between them, you'll never miss a cheap flight)
- Get your accommodation with Booking.com - They have great deals
- Love Pets and a Free Place To Stay? Definitely try Trusted Housesitters
- Need travel tips? Grab a Guide Book
- Need anything on Amazon, use this link, thank you!
- Get your travel insurance with World Nomads or AXA Travel Insurance
- Find our recommended Caribbean hotels, restaurants, charters, & tours here
- Need something else? Check out our list of favorite companies on our resources page